Looking for Feedback: Firo Manifesto

So I’ve been thinking of how to encapsulate Firo’s values so that we can guide our decision making as a community. Obviously the below is a rough draft and we want to hear your feedback on this.

Firo is first and foremost committed to inclusive user privacy.
Inclusive meaning it means to be accessible to as many user groups as possible, while retaining powerful privacy technology. A balance must be struck, if there is powerful privacy, but it’s too difficult to use for most, it will be doomed to the use of only a few.

Firo is committed to trustlessness in privacy.
There are other, stronger privacy technologies out there, but they come at a cost of trust. Until these technologies improve so the trust is negligible, Firo stands firm on the principles of blockchain, which is trust minimization. Privacy and trustlessness are a powerful combination, that empowers individuals.

Firo is committed to the balance of decentralization and the power of the user’s networks.
Unlike some coins which are decentralization at any cost, and suffer the consequences of the trade-offs, Firo recognizes the power that comes with limited, selective centralization, such as a protocol enforced dev fund, and master nodes. Trade offs must be weighed and balanced, not thrown to the wind with no chance of compromise in the name of some arbitrary standard of purity.

Firo wants to bring privacy to the forefront of people’s minds.
Some projects push people away with their all-or-nothing approach, leaving people to believe it’s for criminals and/or inaccessible if you don’t follow every privacy purist rule. Others, have such a light touch with their privacy, that it gets lost and never used, despite it being their crowning achievement. Firo wants to greet skeptics, wanderers, and enthusiasts alike with open arms.

Firo wants to be currency.
Many other cryptos are platforms for some form of smart contracts or other ideas. While expanding the network in these ways can have some benefits, it also increases attack surface and muddies the regulatory waters for such coins. Firo is firmly focused on being a currency, albeit one that can easily bridge with other such crypto platforms.

Firo is committed to the relinquishment of power to the people.
Bootstrapping a completely decentralized project from scratch with “no leaders” is a once in a lifetime thing and not achievable for most. Leaders, both official and unofficial, have net benefits to the project over a period of time. Getting said leaders to relinquish their power, however, has been a human problem for all of history. Firo recognizes the reality of needing leaders with access to money, social media accounts, and setting a direction for the project, while simultaneously recognizing that the project can only truly succeed long term if all such powers eventually dissolve and go to the people.

Firo is focused on the empowerment of humanity through its technology.
This tech is made by people and for people. The human must not be forgotten when all aspects of the project are being maintained. If Firo becomes a service that has its own interests in mind, it is no better than the tyrannical governments that have abandoned their citizens and become self-serving entities. Firo looks to the individual, sees a need, and works to the betterment of the world, through technology, but in service to the human.

20 Likes

作为老币 价格的牌面不足, 粉丝的用户太少 ,我们现在需要人多 使用的人多才是去中心化。我们需要宣传它,让更多的人知道,至少需要一个形象带firo向新的高度冲击。
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Sounds great! I think it is good to have some sort of balance of decentralization. Pretty sure certain features couldn’t/hard to be implemented if it’s totally decentralized. While this may improve in the future, any cutting edge technology like lelantus need to mature to easy of integration of additional features.

5 Likes

Beautiful Manifesto. I think most of us who are hardcore believer in this project, are mostly because of privacy. Privacy and individual liberties are values fundamental to me and to a big lot of the society nowadays. In a age of mass surveillance and AI, i honestly believe that a project such as Firo will find his fair value in the eyes of the common users in the upcoming years. Most project should be as forward as Reuben and team are , in presenting a true vision that empowers users to value their privacy, money and liberties. And yes, a selective decentralization is what’s needed at this point in time.
Liberty and privacy will from now on always rhyme with Firo in this new age of crypto

12 Likes

Firo holds true to its decentralisation and privacy pillars during these hard times. These are essential in creating a decentralised ecosystem for future to thrive. Privacy is also essential in IoT. The details of every device should not be revealed in the network. The elysium tokenisation layer enables anybody to build upon the Firo blockchain for additional privacy. This is in the right direction.

3 Likes

I think the great story compliments the cutting edge tech. Honestly what got me into BTC was the story of sound money with a hard supply count, open source, and secured by mathematics/cryptography. Firo being on the forefront of privacy, with a trust less setup, this is an excellent mission statement moving forward that people can really get behind to compliment the technology supporting it.

3 Likes

This manifesto does a great job at encapsulating all the reasons that I believe in the Firo project. Could the famous “start with the why” TED talk could have been inspiration for this post? Whatever prompted it, Bravo! Is there a way that these guiding principals of FIRO can be more readily available to people immediately that they take an interest in the project? A pinned Tweet? A pinned message in Telegram? A page or banner on the website?

3 Likes

Great Manifesto! I agree with all the points.

The only criticism I have is the use of the word “inclusive” in the first point of the manifesto. This word is in my view so politicized through the PC police that it just automatically is a turn-off for me personally.

While semantically it is saying what I also agree with I personally would prefer another wording. My suggestion is:

Firo is first and foremost committed to user privacy for the people.
This means Firo aims to be accessible to as many user groups as possible, while retaining powerful privacy technology. A balance must be struck, if there is powerful privacy, but it’s too difficult to use for most, it will be doomed to the use of only a few.

2 Likes

Initially I thought Firo privacy can be used in personalised storage spaces and for secure communications between IoT devices. I am wrong. As clearly stated in this manifesto, Firo only focus is to become a currency. The elysium tokenisation layer is only for tokenisation of assets. Stable coins on Firo elysium layer will push Firo further towards this goal of becoming currency. However, the biggest problem for stable coins are its centralisation and difficulty of auditing its supply. Auditing unmovable physical asset like a house is easy. For moveable assets like gold, silver, us dollar, the central authority can move or spend the assets without reflecting it on the blockchain. To lessen this problem, I would suggest to place movable assets directly into the custody of auditors or create vaults that can constantly broadcast its supply to the blockchain.

2 Likes

Allowable anyone to create asset backed tokens on elysium is a good start. However, there are other challenges to achieve this goal. For example, if I wanted to tokenise my silver holdings and sell it on blockchain, I can easily create it and make each token to be fixed at USD 1 with silver amount in each token variable according to the price of silver. And one token is redeemable to whatever amount if silver it is.

The cheapest way for supply auditability would be to position several cameras against the asset with some lightning in a closed space. This is to prevent other people from knowing the location of the asset based on sound and time of the day and steal it. The video should be broadcasted to youtube 24/7. Once a camera is down/out of battery, other cameras should continue the work uninterrupted while the damaged camera is being repaired. And internet connection should be good. Hopefully with elon musk starlink satellite, there will be uninterrupted internet connection.

Another problem is to prevent users from selling their assets after issue their tokens on the blockchain. This is the underlying “double spending” problem of offline assets. This can be mitigated by locking the issuers fund in escrow. Which means a user cannot spend their coins when they hold their silver themselves until an unless they decided to send the silver to the token buyer. This creates another problem where the buyer can commit fraud by falsely stating that they did not receive any silver.

I think the biggest problem is to how to prevent token issuers for double spending their underlyimg assets. Just my opinion. You are welcomed to correct me if there is anything I missed.

Firo is reasonable by focusing on asset backed tokens first. If this elysium venture is successful, then Firo can start to venture into privacy in other areas such as smart contracts, invoices, storage, IoT etc.

1 Like

And also if an asset token issuer decided to withdraw the asset from associating with the token, will the token be burnt? What happened to the those who purchase the token in question?

1 Like

So we need some time to discuss how to get comsumer education further.

1 Like

I would change this to the below…
Firo is first and foremost committed to frictionless (or seamless) user privacy.

Antifa have kind of ruined the term ‘inclusive’ and for a lot of people it now has negative connotations.

1 Like

According to mike maloney definition of currency,
It is a:
-medium of exchange
-unit of account
-durable
-divisible
-portable
-fungible
-store of value

Majority of the coins outside there lack the last feature with wild price fluctuation. Firo must differentiate itself from competitors by stating that token issues on elysium is guranteed to be backed by an asset. Thus making it a store of value.

2 Likes

And also can include provably fair blockchain elections where every vote is guranteeed to be backed one person opinion only.

Since this is the largest real world achievement of Firo so far.

2 Likes

Firo is first and foremost committed to inclusive user privacy.
Inclusive meaning it means to be accessible to as many user groups as possible, while retaining powerful privacy technology. A balance must be struck, if there is powerful privacy, but it’s too difficult to use for most, it will be doomed to the use of only a few.

Recommend
Firo first exists to be a private, accessible, and inclusive currency
We want Firo’s currency to be easy to use by as many people as possible, while providing privacy and freedom.

Why?
It speaks better to the product. Simplify the statement so it’s easier to read. No need to say inclusive then redefine it to mean accessible. Remove negative statement about other privacy technologies.

Firo is committed to trustlessness in privacy.
There are other, stronger privacy technologies out there, but they come at a cost of trust. Until these technologies improve so the trust is negligible, Firo stands firm on the principles of blockchain, which is trust minimization. Privacy and trustlessness are a powerful combination, that empowers individuals.

Recommend
Firo’s privacy technology is open source, provable, audited, and trustless.
Firo’s development team continues to innovate new privacy breakthroughs. Each with a whitepaper and numerous audits from various universities and corporations. Firo’s privacy technology is built to be modular and does not require a, “master key”, trusted setup.

Why
I feel like this should speak broader than just “trustless setup”. Also, this is a very difficult thing to explain to newcomers in the space. Stick to establishing trust in the privacy technology as the primary power statement. That will provide some value and understanding to folks reading this. The trustless setup is a sub-bullet in that, that most won’t understand.

Firo is committed to the balance of decentralization and the power of the user’s networks.
Unlike some coins which are decentralization at any cost, and suffer the consequences of the trade-offs, Firo recognizes the power that comes with limited, selective centralization, such as a protocol enforced dev fund, and master nodes. Trade offs must be weighed and balanced, not thrown to the wind with no chance of compromise in the name of some arbitrary standard of purity.

Recommend
Firo believes in limited centralization.
Firo is a decentralized network. Some minor centralization in some places such as master nodes and the dev fund may be necessary to achieve the project goals, both of which the benefits drastically outweigh any drawbacks.

Why
I get what you’re trying to go for here, to have something to point to when decentralization maxi’s complain about things that don’t matter… but it’s pretty confusing and a little over the top in how it’s worded. Again, I’m trying to suggest a take on sticking to the program and being as positive and neutral as possible.

Firo wants to bring privacy to the forefront of people’s minds.
Some projects push people away with their all-or-nothing approach, leaving people to believe it’s for criminals and/or inaccessible if you don’t follow every privacy purist rule. Others, have such a light touch with their privacy, that it gets lost and never used, despite it being their crowning achievement. Firo wants to greet skeptics, wanderers, and enthusiasts alike with open arms.

Recommend
Firo intends to be a leader in making privacy commonplace in crypto.
Firo believes that privacy is a fundamental human right, is necessary to keep governments from tyranny, and is a pillar to personal freedom and safety. Having an option of easy to use privacy is necessary in a world where your data is the most valuable asset to big business.

Why
I feel like this makes the case better, but can probably be improved. Again, instead of trying to talk down other beliefs… let’s talk up ours.

Firo wants to be currency.
Many other cryptos are platforms for some form of smart contracts or other ideas. While expanding the network in these ways can have some benefits, it also increases attack surface and muddies the regulatory waters for such coins. Firo is firmly focused on being a currency, albeit one that can easily bridge with other such crypto platforms.

Recommended
Firo wants to be a private currency and store of value.
Firo is firmly focused on being a private currency & store of value, while also being compatible for integrations into other chains for smart contracts and other ideas.

Question
Where does Elysium fit into this? Maybe add a line for the intention into that… or change this all together.

Why
Less about other approaches, more about our own beliefs and values.

Firo is committed to the relinquishment of power to the people.
Bootstrapping a completely decentralized project from scratch with “no leaders” is a once in a lifetime thing and not achievable for most. Leaders, both official and unofficial, have net benefits to the project over a period of time. Getting said leaders to relinquish their power, however, has been a human problem for all of history. Firo recognizes the reality of needing leaders with access to money, social media accounts, and setting a direction for the project, while simultaneously recognizing that the project can only truly succeed long term if all such powers eventually dissolve and go to the people.

Recommend
Remove

Why
I feel like it’s naive to talk about for many more years. This is technology that’s in heavy R&D. Integrations and new projects are constantly churning. A crypto with no development is a dead coin (sans meme coins) because it will fall behind on technology and integrations to keep up in the space. In order to actually do this, a “definition of done” will need to be made that doesn’t destroy the project. If development is turned over to the community, there must be enough mainstream interest to keep the project going.

Firo is focused on the empowerment of humanity through its technology.
This tech is made by people and for people. The human must not be forgotten when all aspects of the project are being maintained. If Firo becomes a service that has its own interests in mind, it is no better than the tyrannical governments that have abandoned their citizens and become self-serving entities. Firo looks to the individual, sees a need, and works to the betterment of the world, through technology, but in service to the human.

Recommend
Remove

Reasoning
I feel like, at least as stated… it repeats earlier statements and is a little too broad and nebulous. I can imagine people going “Okay, yeah great… the betterment of human kind. how about Proof of Work and eating up electricity huh?”. I feel like the value add is the privacy portion, and we’ve discussed that earlier in previous bullets.

Missing items to consider:
Integration with the developing crypto space intent/strategy.
Elysium will allow more projects to develop on Firo, does that deserve a space of intent in here?
Quantum computing, machine learning, or other future technological risks.
The ethical high road uponwhich the project operates in times of crisis.
Any beliefs for the community to be successful or act on?

4 Likes

A couple additional thoughts:

• Is there a place for a statement on occasional non-currency experimentation in the project, such as private voting… I can see Elysium fitting in here to support other development etc.
  • Since we have principles for where Firo focuses (privacy), how about a statement on how Firo borrows technology as well? Masternodes, Tor, Dandelion, RAP, ProgPOW using it’s own integrations and sometimes first to implement… this helps push Firo’s resources where it’s strongest.

All motives/principles listed I believe should be technologically agnostic so that it’ll last and guide without much updating.

3 Likes

Sure that makes sense

1 Like

I really like this project and the manifesto draft.

My only major comment is about “Firo wants to be a currency.” I would just remove the whole paragraph.

The reason is that Firo should be whatever people want/need it to be. Speaking for myself, I see it as a private SoV. I can hold it without people knowing that I hold it or how much. It can sit there in anonymous form until I want to convert it to something else and buy something. I suspect many people are the same way, judging by the limited number of transactions per block (https://explorer.firo.org/blocks).

I could be wrong, of course, maybe people are just accumulating it to use it later. But for the Manifesto to state that we want Firo to be a currency kind of implies that we want to regulate what people do with it. I think what really captures the spirit of Firo is to say something like, we want people to be able to be free to use Firo however they like.

Other parts of the Manifesto get the liberty idea across pretty well already. So I’d just remove that paragraph, to keep things shorter and simpler. But if others really want to keep it, maybe it could be reworded to something like: “Firo aims to have the features of a currency” or similar.

3 Likes

Understandable :slight_smile: I guess the only reason i state that is the worry that things will be too fickle and be like “hey develop a NFT platform” or something like that :slight_smile:

1 Like