Our new privacy protocol and what should we call it?

how about Chicane? it can mean to trick or hide like Stealth

Agree to maintain Lelantus name with added suffix

We have been building the lelantus name for quite a while even before the rebrand. Now Firo has already established itself to the Lelantus tech.

3 Likes

I think we should stick to Lelantus and increment the version number to v2, v3, etc.

Lets compare the situation to Apple and IPhone. Apple is the company and Firo is the projet. IPhone is the product and Lelantus is the privacy protocol name.

When there is a new IPhone, they just increment the version number even if a lot of techonology//software//hardware change. I see the same pattern with Firo and Lelantus.

Now that users are familiar with the Lelantus name, I dont think its a good idea to change it again (zerocoin, sigme, lelantus, etc.)!

3 Likes

Lelantus is a good name and maybe we should do something with the version number, like 2.0 or 3.0. Feel really appreciated to the continuous effort the Firo development team has put in, as there’s still a way to go so that people recognize our brand.

4 Likes

keep lelantus, good name!

1 Like

We definitely need a naming protocol as much as we need a privacy protocol! I agree that Lelantus is a great brand to focus on, it has heralded a new era for the FIRO privacy project. The name changes for the privacy protocol should be reserved for when there is a major change in the code. It is a major flag to people that something has changed. If we changed the name every time a hard-fork occurred the project would be very hard to follow.

How about if we use some of the really cool names that people have come up with above along with Lelantus to create a double barrelled name e.g. Lelantus-Firebird ? Offering names is fun and encourages community engagement. The idea of limiting names to mythical creatures / gods is not a bad one. The superpower of the supernatural being in question can then be related to the new upgrade to the protocol e.g. Lelantus Breksta - (Lithuanian goddess of dusk and dreams) because protecting users identities between burning and redeeming coins is like protecting dreams between dusk and dawn.

I really like the idea of skipping Lelantus v2 and moving straight on to NPP, let’s not make work for the dev team. Only moon boys want to see things moving quickly; to pump the price. FIRO is the best crypto-privacy project of the lot because it is research driven and has a strong set of guiding values. The focus needs to be on increasing the practicable level of privacy and avoiding the threat of censorship. From Reuben’s write-up it appears that NPP, and not Lelantus v2, takes the protocol in the right direction for further improvements to these ends.

1 Like

Great addition in the new update and worth the sacrifice in performance.
As for naming I think we should keep lelantus for continuity. It don’t look good with things changing name all the time. No one cares what’s under the hood. Firo invented lelantus and keeps improving it. That’s all there is to it. That’s how I feel.

2 Likes

I think the choice of the name is less important, it can be “Firebird” or something coming from mythology. What is crucial, is the technology. It would be awesome to move to better technology without wasting time on something that will eventually be replaced. The aim is to compete wtih Pirate Chain and Monero. I have all three coins and I think there should be many privacy coins. Competition causes constant improvement.

2 Likes

I like the idea of naming them sort of firey names as a version with Lelantus being the primary name, like Lelantus version Genesis or Lelantus v. Pyre or Lelantus v. Phoenix Reborn…you get the idea…I think the more times the Lelantus name is used though, the better…and not really into the idea of changing the name…especially since Lelantus is already cool and just starting to be recognized.

Ignis or Flicker would be some cool names that give reference to the burn-mint tech that lelantus implements.

1 Like

It sounds really simple, but I immediately thought:

Napalm

Fhinix

Fhi-nix ← pronounced

Said just like Phoenix

Finix

Fi-nix

Said just like Phoenix

1 Like

My pick for the new privacy protocol would be;

Paladin

Why?

Long version:

In the MMORPG Final Fantasy, Paladin is an advanced job that can be accessed after completing a special quest. It functions like a Warrior, but with more defensive abilities. It can also use White Magic. A Paladin’s main function is defense. Because of this, players often set Warrior as a support job. This allows them to use the Provoke ability and draw enemies’ attacks towards them and away from party members (referred to as tanking).

Short version:

“The Paladin is a high defense tank capable of protecting teammates from all damage”.

Which resonates well with Firo’s vision to protect privacy :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Lelantus Nebula as next version is cool … and the progression to later releases (galaxy?) seems meaningful

Hi, I present the name in telegram group lelantus nebula.
Symbolizing the beginning of a star. After the star is formed by the nebula, we can add other consecutive names such as the formation of a black hole or supernova. And so on, until we get to a plane behind the black hole (names).

2 Likes

I’ve been keeping up with this threads’ discussion, and think I am ready to put my two cents in. I personally think that keeping Lelantus (at least, for now) is crucial not only because of recognition, but also because - as others here have said - that repeatedly changing the name could begin to confuse even Firo community members. Where I will differ, as some here have, is that we should not use v2, 2.0, or even roman numerals (or at least, not for this).

I agree with Thorfried and Firos in that we should be simply adding onto the name to distinguish, but I slightly differ on how to do it. I think it may be best to do it as many companies do, where we have Firo(Project/Company), Lelantus(Product/Brand), and (Version) of said product. I rather like the idea of using the heavens as a naming scheme for “versions” of Lelantus - such as Firos brought up with Nebula. The only downside I see is that it does not provide a direct lineage of production; however, that has never seemed to be an issue for Android with all of their “Jellybean” “Icecream Sandwich” and such names for their editions of iOS.

Since the Phoenix is our mascot which ties into the destruction and rebirth of coins, I suggest the life cycle of the phoenix to be used as a suffix. I think this will cover enough iterations till we move away from Lelantus far in the future.

So we can call this Lelantus Spark.

Spark- The first full plumage a phoenix acquires after fledging from its down. This stage is almost always pure white, although it can also be a very pale yellow. A bird will sometimes have very faint hints of blue or even lavender in this stage.

Tinder- This is the stage where a bird’s individual set of markings start to develop in its plumage. The metallic golden color throughout is the strongest characteristic. Greater differentiation of ornamental feathers also occurs in this stage.

Wildfire- By far the most variable in color and pattern of all the stages. While brief, this is the only life stage where a phoenix can use its firepower for combat without incurring significant damage to its overall health.

Ember- Subdued dark oranges, rust, and red are the trademark colors of this phase. As the phoenix ages, it starts losing its feathers, while those that remain become worn down. Its strength in flight also begins to dwindle.

Ash- The final life stage before a phoenix dissolves into flame to produce a new bird. Large patches of its body have become bare of feathers, and by this point the bird has been rendered flightless. Both its eyes and feathers have been reduced to dull and dark colors, with only limited dark red still present

7 Likes

There is no problem adding meaningful suffixes for lelantus version iteration,Until we stay away from lelantus in the future, it is a better choice to keep the lelantus brand at this stage

4 Likes

Oh yes, adding a suffix while maintaining the Lelantus name is what I imagine it to be.

I’m all for this.

3 Likes