How To Get Seed Words From A Wallet?

How do I get the seed words from an already installed QT wallet?

Please backup your wallet before you do any of this!

To get your mnemonic seed from your QT wallet after it is installed you must access the debug console and provide the dumpwallet command.

The first time you run it, it will output an error plus a 2FA

You will need to run it again and add the 2FA at the end

DO NOT share any of the information your wallet provides! Ignore anyone who may contact you in private as they are more than likely trying to steal from you!

2 Likes

The command is this:
dumpwallet "filename"

But what is the file name?

The filename is any name that you want for the wallet dump file. Examples are dumpwallet.txt, privkeys.txt, or mnemonics.txt.

By default, the QT wallet will try to write the file to where firo-qt.exe (or other types) is located. For this reason it is recommended that the filename also contains the path where you want it to be dumped. Example:

dumpwallet "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\dumpwallet.txt"

Thank you for the explanation. I will try this tonight and post the results.

Also another question:
Is making a backup of a wallet (from the wallet menu) the same as just saving the wallet.dat file? Can’t I just save the wallet.dat file instead?

Yes, they are the same. The main difference is you can backup through the menu while the wallet is open and running, but copying the wallet.dat while the wallet is open is hazardous.

The copying method is recommended when the wallet is closed.

The first time you run it, it will output an error plus a 2FA
You will need to run it again and add the 2FA at the end

Ok so I ran the command and then it said:
Error: Please enter the wallet passphrase with walletpassphrase first. (code -13)

How would this command look?

You’ll first need to unlock your wallet. This command will unlock it for 60 seconds:
walletpassphrase "YOUR PASSWORD" 60

Then do the dumpwallet.

1 Like

I got it. Thank you.

So I think it all went this way:

1. walletpassphrase "YOUR PASSWORD" 60
  2. dumpwallet "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\dumpwallet.txt"

–GIVES A 2FA–

1. dumpwallet "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\dumpwallet.txt" 2FA
1 Like

Yes, the procedure is correct.