Firo 51% attack post mortem and vote on attackers' funds

They are back on Binance.

Please explain where is the origin of crime? What rules were breaking?
I’m not support the Attacker, that is not very goo what he/she or they did.
But that should show the developers to think how to avoid such action. And for Binance that is a good lesson to think about risk management

1 Like

Yes, but Binance will not give it back to the user :slight_smile:
Because officially the procedure of withdrawal was finished. :rofl:

1 Like

Do you still have access to the seed words from that wallet? If so hit me up on Discord or Telegram same name.

No, because I made it classically with full windows wallet. I did not use any service for that. Just “wallet.dat”

I find it appalling that so many of you want to lick Binance’s ass. They have established a #SAFU fund, which they should have used in this case. It is no fault of Firo that this attack had happened. Shame on you.

1 Like

The coins need to be returned to their rightful owners. That is the customers of the exchanges.

Returning coins to exchanges is the only way to give a firo project a chance for decent development.
Remember, similar things happened with Bitcoin and Ethereum
The Bitcoin bug - in 2010 184 billion BTC transaction was purged from block 74638
Hard fork of the Ethereum blockchain 2016 - when was stolen $50 million in ETH, from the DAO’s wallet.
So, returning money to victims is the best solution and the best way out of this difficult current situation.

6 Likes

Say that to the Cryptopia users…
Remember please: NO KEYS - NO COINS

No shame on you. If the coins are not returned to Binance and it’s customers, Binance should keep the inflation bug funds to help compensate their users. Then they should delist Firo entirely. Firo community will tarnish their reputation and become a bunch of thieves that had the chance to do the right thing but stabbed an exchange that supported them in the back.

In fact, they do not need to be returned. Everyone using crypto should be aware of the rules that shape this environment. Binance is fully responsible for the trades on their platform. Therefore, it is in Binance’s discretion to reimburse its clients. I do believe the stolen funds should be locked. However, the chain should be able to mine that amount again to keep the max supply sound.

Yeh some of the customers bought the damn coins and transferred them to their wallet. Then had the funds reversed/stolen. I have my keys, but that didn’t mean shit.

1 Like

In the case of this attack. Your keys /= your coins.

If they are KYC’d can Binance pursue recovery/legal options against them directly? Or were no laws technically broken?

2 Likes

Your keys = Might be your coins

It would probably depend on the jurisdiction of the attacker.

I’m pretty sure Binance and every other exchange would feel like I feel if the team did that.
Delist and refuse to deal with a community of crooks.

Firo would probably be a dead coin at that point and wouldn’t gain any sympathy. Not from me anyway…

The option of using the attacker’s funds to reimburse is only allowable since FIRO is still in its development stages. Once we the community feels like FIRO is fully fledged on the tech level, this kind of maneuver needs to be banned. As an analogy, FIRO is a country and code is the law. The 51% attacker exploited a legitimate loophole in the law. Since the country is still very young and underdeveloped, suppressing the loophole can be passed as acceptable. Once the country has matured, suppressing such loopholes delegitimizes its law. Later on, FIRO needs to let the law run it’s course. (Changing the law to after the fact to cover loopholes though, that’s perfectly acceptable and even commendable - FIRO actually did this in this situation by fast-forwarding chainlocks)

5 Likes

I think it is really important to return money to people who have lost it on the exchange. This is a morally correct choice. Our community is so strong because we value the anonymity of each of us, but we do not forget about moral principles. Even if this is not our fault. By returning money to people who have lost it, our community will show the world not only that we are the best technology for anonymity, but also that this technology is developed by real honest people. And for the exchange, we will become a very reliable partner and example for other communities.

3 Likes

Everyone please keep in mind, if we are only given 3 options to choose from, WE ARE NOT MAKING THE DECISION, whoever created the 3 options is making the decision.

We need more options not these limited 3.

Example:

1. Lick my ass
  2. Kiss my ass
  3. Pinch my ass

Here make your own decision by picking one of the above 3.

Can we start over on this vote with more options? If not…