ช่วยเราด้วย! Ayúdanos! Aidez nous! Օգնեք մեզ! Hilf uns! 帮帮我们!Nulungi aku! Помогите!

Firo has industry leading privacy technology and a team of developers which is the envy of many a crypto project, why is it that more people are not talking about it? People all over the world have the right to financial privacy, why should we restrict the privilege of using Firo to English speakers? The Firo Telegram chat has people who drop in every day posting comments in multiple languages; it is clear that there is a keenness on the part of non-English speakers to learn what Firo has to offer.

The cost of adding other languages to the ww.Firo.org website is not large, there are certainly bilingual fans of Firo from many different countries. It would be great to see a Firo Community Crowdfunding effort to get the main website translated into various other world languages.

• Which languages should we start with?
• How many Firo should it cost to translate the website? 
• How will the community pick one translator to pay for their work over another?
• Should the website be machine translated and then just proof read by native speakers?
• How will blogs and website updates be handled?
• How will links to Firo community groups of various languages be forged? 

All these are questions will need to be answered, not all at once, but if you have strong feelings about any of them please post your ideas below; perhaps, for example, you think that information about Firo and its groundbreaking Lelantus technology should only ever be available to English speakers?

7 Likes

I think the languages that should be supported to start are Indonesian (from all the recent messages and inquiry about indodax), Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Korean, Thai, Japanese and French. These are the languages I have seen in the chat over the years.

The cost in Firo will come down to the going rate of these jobs normally I imagine. Other community members will weigh in more on this.

I think keeping the people that translate blogs should be notified for continuous future gig work like this.

3 Likes

Right. FIRO has done well for Lelantus, but we need to say, just like Linux, its success is definitely because it embraces the whole world, so firo please striding somewhere or further !

4 Likes

Let us start with 1 language to test the way this can work. Let that language be Simplified Chinese.

Price:
I suggest a modest price as this is community funded work: so not your real job that you depend on to feed your family
There should be one price to translate the basic website as it exists now say 80 USD in FIRO
Then since there will be ongoing new articles there can be a simple per article price of say 15…20 USD in FIRO depending on length. This would come out of a CCS funded pool

These prices will be reviewed by the Community and adjusted accordingly.

Translation method:
Low effort machine (google) translations should be discouraged. Translations should be by a native speaker.

Translators will soon get a reputation from those reading in the language and will be preferred – others can submit translations for the same piece but should show significantly better work/style to replace a translator who has better reputation. All can be discussed here as a fair record. If in doubt the Community Manager(s) will choose.

Ok … this is my attempt to forsee one way that this can be done.

If successful (and I think it will be) it can become a more general model perhaps.

5 Likes

Yes, PR is very important for healthy community growth and maintenance !

2 Likes

We need to first configure the firo.org site for internationalization, an example needs to be made and then it will be easy to add other languages.

It might also be useful to consider using second-level domains, such as cn.firo.org and jp.firo.org, which can be deployed on servers that are geographically close and fast, and can easily host the language community’s own articles. I actually made a demo firocn.github.io a few months ago.

6 Likes

Have you guys tried https://www.deepl.com/ ?

As a native Chinese translator, deepl already done 60 ~ 80% of the translation jobs for me.
But there’s some gap between a so called not-bad article and a plain combination of words.

So we still need proof reading, machined translation(80%) + proof rading(20%), 80/20 principle :slight_smile:
And I think it’s an quite efficient way, given that we have so many languages not yet translated …

2 Likes

As a first step we’ve enabled a translation plugin for our forum so people can view posts translated into their native language.

4 Likes

The price is an interesting point, maybe a fixed FIRO price and not even mention USD? The Reputation idea is a good one, but I’m not sure how people get trialed out?
If we put a price in FIRO on the ‘job’ of translating the website it should probably exclude the blogs and guides for the time being, these could be done later for a separate price.

What’s the next stage for creating a CCS? Simplified Chinese seems to be the consensus of opinion at the moment. How about 20 FIRO as a starting price? We will need to fund the website changes, necessary to make additional languages possible, as a different CCS - not sure how much this will be, does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

I like your thinking. I hope that we can get the simplified Chinese translation and website changes deployed as a CSS and funded. Local regional servers are good idea, latency can be really annoying otherwise.

1 Like

rehrar is reviewing my PR, which contains the initial Chinese localization, CCS I’ll try next time. :slight_smile:

The merge will allow access to Chinese pages via firo.org/zh-cn. Still need to implement the language switch link at the top or bottom.

4 Likes

I did actually price in FIRO at first then thought that over the longer term, blogs, etc. as you say the USD value will inevitably change.

As an aside Decred with many longer term contractors pays DCR against the USD value from the previous month and has done successfully for years. Jobs are denominated first in USD

For the one specific and soon to be done job – the fixed website – I agree can fund at 20 FIRO.

3 Likes

Will this allow a mirror of the site to be hosted closer to Chinese browsers? Looks like progress anyhow!

Good luck with the CCS, you can count on a donation from me.

2 Likes

This also creates an example to make adding other languages easy, just add the new yml file in the _i18n folder.

The local server site needs more work, consider it only if necessary.

2 Likes