Emergency Switch Functionality for Lelantus / Lelantus Spark: To extend or retire?

Hi, could you elaborate what you mean by this?

1. Extend the switch for 6 months to allow users and zombies to migrate, revisited again after 6 months and agree on new time frame.
  2. Enable a kill switch for spark until community agrees it is safe to remove. (After audits, and hackathons) revisit bounty payouts to encourage continued security work after. Personal opinion is this should be at least a year or two…
  3. At least 6 months (plus the current 3). Maximum 1 year, maybe more depending on the statistics of users who have moved. Would be nice to impliment some type of deteriorating trade off after X time?

I agree that the team should be as hands off as posible. But for now a safety switch is helpful, as new things get added new bugs get created. Firo still has room for growth. We can not control how our users trade thier funds, but lets not fall victim of a blackhat because we removed a security feture too early. With 2miners current hashrate and the uncertainty of whats going on with GPU mining I would feel more vaulnerable with out a kill switch (FOR NOW!)

2 Likes

Having a cut-off date for Lelantus spends means we know exactly how much supply is moving into Spark and can ascertain the supply of Firo accurately. Leaving Lelantus open forever means we just have to guess at this.

There’s a way to get Lelantus mints converted automatically to Spark but we lose the supply audit function and hence we decided not to go with this and instead have it go from Lelantus > Transparent > Spark.

One of the reasons why we also want to close Lelantus spends off is so that we don’t have to maintain and watch Lelantus anymore since it’s possible that a vulnerability is found and because our attention is not on Lelantus anymore, it’s more possible that it can happen. This is basically what happened with us and Zerocoin where we were focused on doing Sigma that we stopped dedicating time to hardening Zerocoin which left us more vulnerable.

The deteriorating trade-off won’t really cover what we are trying to solve here. If I understand correctly, your suggestion is about let’s say I have 1000 FIRO and if I convert within 6 months I’ll get 1000 still but if I delay, this amount will get smaller and smaller.

The main risk is that we don’t want any vulnerabilities in Lelantus to ever bite us back as we stop maintaining it. The vulnerabilities usually are of forging a zero knowledge proof somehow that passes validation and allows coins to be created out of thin air. So it doesn’t matter that it’s deteriorating since I just forge a proof for any amount that I want.

An extension of 12 months

When will Lelantus Spark launch? After launch, it should be promoted to let as many people as possible know about it and migrate it.

1 Like

If 99% of lelantis coins have been made transparent and it’s been a while then perhaps it can be switched off. Although leaving anyone high and dry is not good and maybe there is something further that can be done

Yes but is there no way to know in total how many have been converted?
That i thought should be possible, if nothing just for the sake to know if there has been a hack…
Anyway if we can do that then we can move to the proofing part …

I’d like to ask for a simple way to check if I have to migrate. I don’t know what my addresses are and probably many users will need help either

6 months
In the forum Twitter and all media, set the top of the message.
Repeated warnings once a week: If they do not convert will loss all coins.

Learn the lesson of Tornado and take action ASAP.

1 Like

For sure, on all our official wallets, it would prompt you for this and it should be a one click thing to move it into transparent.

1. Extend Lelantus emergency switch for at least 1 year.
  2. Implement emergency switch for Lelantus Spark for at least 1 year.
  3. I’m assuming there’s a way to determine how many unspent Lelantus mints are remaining - even though you can’t tell the value - and wait until the number is small enough to be ‘reasonable’ (less than 5?). Can spends then go into a manual mode after that - this would unfortunately require centralization with the team ‘approving’ any spends from the unspent Lelantus mints after a certain date - this would prevent the ‘coma patients’ from missing out when they wake up. Not sure if this would even be technically possible. Maybe the best idea is just make the conversion time longer - like 2 years with no exceptions - but this would extend any attack vectors longer - not sure which would be best.
  1. extend, but only 6 months (you can always re-visit/vote on this again)
  2. 12 months
  3. 12 months
  1. No extend, stop it
  2. 12 months
  3. 12 months
  1. 12 months
  2. 12 months
  3. 18 months

If this is feasible then this would be great

1. To extend Lelantus emergency switch or let it expire?
    My understanding is that the emergency switch is there in case of problems with the code that allow exploits, surely this version has been battle hardened enough not to need this switch any longer? I would vote for turning it off if the devs agree that there is unlikely to be another reason to use it . . .

2. To implement emergency switch for Lelantus Spark or not? If so for how long?
    Yes, definitely needs to be implemented. It should be left on for at least a year, or until the feds write more laws that impinge on the development of privacy coins, we don’t want the awesome FIRO team to get into trouble! It could be extended again like the Lelantus switch has been.

3. How long should we give for Lelantus users to bridge out before we stop allowing Lelantus spends?
    This should be as long as possible, imagine the bad publicity for the coin if the aforementioned coma sufferer awakes to find all his FIRO gone!

The core team will be making a decision soon on this so please ensure to make sure you have weighed in so that we can consider all your feedback!

Has Lelantus Spark started auditing yet?

Yes already being audited but out of topic.

We will be implementing the following from the feedback above:

1. Extend Lelantus emergency switch: 12 months from expiry
  2. Implement Spark emergency switch: 12 months from activation
  3. When should Lelantus v1 be deprecated: 2 years from Spark activation.

I hope this meets everyone’s expectations and thank you for your feedback!

2 Likes